Consensus adopted Town Charter March 1971 and More Effective Administration November 1982
The Hingham League recognizes the need for a charter in Hingham and will assist in placing the question on the ballot. (March 1971)
As a means to provide more effective administration of town government responsive to the needs of the people, the LWV will:
- Support the hiring of a full time professional town administrator whose duties and qualifications shall include:
- Preparation of the budget and the budget message;
- Provide central purchasing;
- Education or experience in municipal administration.
- Support a budget prepared by the executive branch of town government while retaining the present system of voting at town meeting on the appropriation recommended by the Advisory Committee.
- Support a public budget hearing with all the town boards, committees, and departments represented.
- Support the inclusion of a form of the Massachusetts Open Meeting Law in a charter. (November 1982)