Texas has open primaries!
You may be a voter on either the Republican ballot or the Democratic ballot during early voting Feb.18 - Feb 28 or on Primary Election Day, March 3, 2020. (The Green Party and the Libertarian Party choose candidates in a convention process.)
Other ways you can help Texas voters!
- Become a trained Voter Protection Volunteer to support voters at the polls.
- Contact your county to work at the polls - they always need workers!
- Follow and share accurate voter education from LWVTexas.org, VOTE411.org, votetexas.gov and your county election website.
- Fight disinformation by only sharing from established legitimate news sources.
I know you are as committed to empowering voters and defending democracy as I am. Thank you for taking these extra steps in the lead up to the March 3rd Texas Primary Election!!
‘Motor Voter’ Ruling Could Lead To Online Registration
"A federal judge ordered Texas to allow three citizens to register to vote after they renewed their driver’s licenses online. This could open the door allowing more than 1 million new voter registrations in Texas.
"The National Voter Registration Act of 1993 is also known as Motor Voter. It requires states to offer voter registration opportunities when an eligible person applies for a driver license. On Thursday, Chief U.S. District Judge Orland Garcia found that Texas has been violating that law."
Share the League's 2020 Primary Election Voters Guide!
The LWV Texas Voters Guide covers statewide candidates, State Board of Education, Supreme Court Justices, Court of Appeals Justices and US Representative and Texas House Representative candidates that did not have a local League. The Voters Guide may also cover local candidates in communities with a local League of Women Voters.
- The 2020 Texas Primary Election Voters Guide in English.
- The 2020 Texas Primary Election Voters Guide in Spanish.
- The 2020 Texas Primary Election Voters Guide online VOTE411.org (available on Feb 4)
Need Questions to Ask Candidates at Candidate Forums?
- Redistricting Questions from Fair Maps Texas
- Revenue & Budget Questions from the Center for Public Policy Priorities
- Where are League Candidate Forums in Texas? Find out on our website and VOTE411.org.
Fight Fake Election News with Facts from the League!
- Texas has open primaries. That means that ALL Texas voters can participate.
- Texas Drivers License is not required to be REAL ID compliant learn more from the Texas Secretary of State.
- Texas voter ID address does not have to match the voter registration address, Learn more.
- Registered voters may vote early in person at any early voting location in their county. Your County Election website has polling locations and sample ballots.
- Questions or concerns? Contact Texas Voter Protection. We are here to help!
Take the Challenge!
The Census Bureau recently released their "2020 Census Response Rate Toolkit". The new toolkit encourages leaders in every town, city and state to challenge their communities to improve upon their 2010 Census response rates in the upcoming national census. To access the toolkit, visit https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/2020/response-rate-challenge.html
The League of Women Voters is a core member of the Texas Election Protection Coalition. Members, supporters, friends and family may sign up to work as a trained Election Protection volunteer. There is a need for Field volunteers to work the polling sites and for lawyers.
Sign up on the League's Election Protection web page.
2020 LWV Convention in Austin - April 17-19
Every two years in the spring of even-numbered years, LWV Texas convenes a state convention. All League members are invited to attend. The 2020 Convention to be held on April 17,18,19, in Austin, Texas at the Crowne Plaza Hotel.
Luncheon will feature a The 19th News reported interviewing Valencia Richardson, author of Young and Disaffected. Her book shines a spotlight on the people working hard to make the American South a better place for the younger, more progressive generations. Richardson wrote this love letter to her home region; featuring stories from young adults fighting the good fight to empower Southern youths.
Hotel Reservations at the Crowne Plaza at the special convention rate of $125/night for a 1 King or 2 Double Room. Breakfast is included with room reservation rate.
More details on workshops and the Making Democracy Work Dinner coming soon.
Teach Me How to Texas! LWVTX Partners with the Texas Tribune
Learn everything you need to know about Texas elections in The Texas Tribune’s free fiveweek crash course, Teach Me How to Texas. You’ll learn interesting facts about Texas’ past and culture, how different communities and regions in Texas vote, how candidates raise and spend money, how to spot a good poll from a bad one, and how to decode your November ballot. Sign up for this 5-week email course here.
- February 18-23: Early Voting
- February 21: Last day to apply to vote by mail
- March 3: Texas Primary Election (Republican & Democratic Primary - Libertarians & Green
- Party choose their candidates at conventions)
- April 17 to 19: LWVTX Convention in Austin
- June 25-29: LWVUS Convention in Washington, DC
- November 3: Election Day